As a frequent patron of the salad bar, I would say spinach is the “it” veggie of this spring. Last night there was actually a line just for spinach. A long line. And, as you may know, any time Peirce is sans spinach there are a lot of disappointed faces in the servery. (Not quiet the ketchup crisis of 2011, but a challenge that must be overcome nonetheless.) So in this week’s Made in Peirce we bring you some delectable dishes with spinach as the main ingredient.
Spinach Apple Salad:
- Fill a bowl to your heart’s desire with spinach
- Sprinkle bleu cheese and crunchy asian noodles (or croutons) throughout
- Cut up about half a large apple (preferably yellow or green) into small pieces and add to dish
- Top off with balsamic dressing
- Start off by toasting a slice of bread of your choosing (I used multigrain)
- First layer on a slice of provolone or colby-jack cheese
- Next add a few leaves of spinach, a couple onions and green pepers
- Then spread on a small portion of tuna salad
- Place sandwich onto the panini press but do not close it. The heat of the bottom half of the panini press should melt your cheese effectively.
- After removing your sandwich, feel free to garnish with more spinach, a tomato or other vegetables