A Peirce Date it is a lovely thing where the yentas at The Thrill set two people up on a blind date at Peirce, and then we find out how it went. Hilarity ensues. Wanna go on a Peirce Date? Wanna nominate a friend? Let us know!
Last Thursday around 5:00 p.m., James Karlin ’15 and Kaitlin Graff ’12 met for the first time in Thomas Hall.
Full report after the jump!
Contestant #1: James Karlin
- Year: 2015
- Major: Classics
- Hometown: Los Angeles
- Describe yourself in terms of food: Those funny little pickled vegetables that come in tiny dishes from Japanese eateries.
- Ideal Date: In my friend Benji’s room. He’s nice.
- Best Pickup Line: I’m gonna make a judgment call and say most people don’t use pickup lines. I don’t even like talking that much.
- Best Lie: My dad is in the Cove…let me in.
- Best thing about Kenyon: The docks
- Worst thing about Kenyon: Baby corn
- In 20 years you are: Sorting things by size, type and kind.
Contestant #2: Kaitlin Graff
- Year: 2012
- Major: Psychology
- Hometown: Lexington, KY
- Describe yourself in terms of food: Strawberry, banana and blueberry smoothie.
- Ideal Date: Peirce date, ovi.
- Best Pickup Line: “Your biceps are huge. Kiss me!”
- Best Lie: I convinced someone I was Anne Hathaway’s sister.
- Best thing about Kenyon: The Gap Trail
- Worst thing about Kenyon: Ice on Middle Path
- In 20 years you are: Employed
About the date…
Graff arrived before Karlin. She seemed a bit nervous but always kept a big smile on her face. I was able to chat with Graff before the date. She tried very hard to get me to reveal who her date would be, but the only information I would reveal was that her date was a straight male Kenyon student. You may remember Karlin from Thrill Sessions with Littless. He was the dude. Graff was looking classy in a black top, jeans and ballet flats, while Karlin kept it real in a flannel.
Graff: The date was good. We talked about traveling, movies and …. Kenyon. We talked about experiences abroad (Ed.: Graff spent a semester in Denmark). [Karlin] told me about his trip to Israel and how he got to see the Israel soldiers and their fighting techniques. It was really interesting.
Karlin: It was okay. We talked mostly about her abroad stuff. I think she went to … Norway? No, Denmark. She said she went to like nine different countries while she was up there. Besides that we talked about the basic stuff: classes, what we do outside of class. She said she was into Titanic. (Ed.” The 3D version was recently released in theaters.) I’ve actually never seen it. Apparently, I have to check it out.
How about the atmosphere…
Graff: It was fine. [Karlin] was easy to talk to. But yeah, it was just nice to meet someone new and talk to them.
Karlin: It was nice. [Graff] asked most of the questions. I expected that; I’m not a very talkative person.
How does Peirce stand up to other date locales in Gambier?
Graff: Having it be so public made it … interesting. It was different. You know, it’s Peirce. It was kinda fun to see people I know.
Karlin: Well you know, it doesn’t get more romantic than housing lottery information on the Newscope. If anything, Peirce was just a positive.
What about a second date?
Graff: Sure! Why not!
Karlin: Why not. It was pretty nice.