It has been quite a while since the last Peirce Date took place, so for those of you who don’t remember or maybe never knew, here’s what goes down. We set two Kenyon singles up to go on a blind date in Peirce where they learn about themselves, each other, and society as a whole. If you or anyone you know is interested, let us know!
Find out this intriguing couple’s date details after the jump.
Contestant #1: Janie Simonton ’15
- Year: Sophmore, 2015
- Major: International Studies (Development)
- Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Describe yourself in terms of vegetables: I guess a carrot because my hair is orange.
- Ideal date: My ideal date has three components: 1. Puns 2. Smoothies 3. Tie-dying
- Best pickup line ever: “I could just say hi. That’s a start.”
- Best Lie: Last night I spent twenty minutes convincing Spencer Kaye ’14 (co-editor-in-chief of the Thrill) and Caleb Bissinger ’13 (co-editor-in-chief of the Collegian), who both knew me first semester of my freshman year, that I originally spent first semester of my freshman year at Miami University and transferred here second semester last year. They called in outside sources because they were so unsure.
- Best thing about Kenyon: I think it’s really nice that we have a post office and can keep the same address all four years. Also, there are some really hilarious people here.
- Worst thing about Kenyon: The wearing of hats that do not have a function.
- In 20 years you are: Going on some great family vacations.
Contestant #2: Khalil Chatman ’16
- Year: First, 2016
- Major: Undeclared
- Hometown: Ashtabula, OH
- Describe yourself in terms of vegetables: Sauteed
- Ideal date: Dinner downtown in a big city, followed by bar hopping.
- Best pickup line ever: I find you very attractive and would like to know more about you as a person.
- Best lie: Nah, mom, I stayed in this Saturday.
- Best thing about Kenyon: The view of Old Kenyon looking down Middle Path.
- Worst thing about Kenyon: The walk back up the hill from the KAC
- In 20 years you are: 39.
About the date…
Khalil was the first to arrive for the date, Janie was no more than 30 seconds late. As the matchmaker I thought the date was going to go well, the two had a lot in common and are two of the nicest people on campus. It was clear that even if they weren’t going to date they would enjoy each others company.
Janie: It was really fun! He was a great conversationalist. We got to discuss a wide spectrum of things without any awkward silences.
Khalil: I would say that it went pretty well.
How about the atmosphere…
Janie: I mean, we had a window table on New Side. #whataview
Khalil: The atmosphere was enjoyable.
How does Peirce stand up to other date locales in Gambier?
Khalil: Peirce is unique in it’s own way.
Janie: Unlimited refills? Please, it couldn’t get better.
Favorite anecdote of the date…
Janie: He got a tattoo of a sombrero on his wrist because he was dared once.
Khalil: “Oh my God, I hate cold cuts.”
What about a second date?