I wish I were an American Studies major. Like, I have all these wonderful ideas for comps. Totally valid ideas. Completely legit. Ideas I could only do in the American Studies department. Right?
- Federalism in B♭ minor: An interactive reading of the Federalist Papers from the Old Kenyon Bell Tower while members of the Center for Rural Life, representing Thomas Jefferson, yell profanities below. The bell tolls with the number of the paper being read to keep people on track.
- American Fatties: An in-depth study of the music of Fats Waller and its influence on the American obesity epidemic.
- Homoerotic Tension in Dueling: Studying the patterns of sexual repression in 18th and 19th-century dueling, using the pistol (or if you’re Preston Brooks, a cane) as a phallic symbol. Special emphasis on the duel between Burr and Hamilton, presented as an an independent art film.
- Kluge’s Last Stand: An interpretive dance representing the Battle of Little Bighorn Performed on the KAC Hill with costumes reminiscent of Vietnam uniforms and starring P.F. Kluge as General George Custer.
- The American Dream: Set to the score of Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring on repeat, this hour-long spoken word poem tells the harrowing tale of White men and their struggle for identity in this society that always seems to be out to get them.