10 o’clock list: Kenyon Randos
Objectively, Kenyon isn’t really a big school. Yet somehow, there are always these groups of random people that seem to always be around, perpetually anonymous to me yet familiar by way of association with their general way of being or where I see them. Although there are many individuals in this category that stand alone, there are several key categories of Kenyon randos that consistently stay in my line of sight but off my radar.
1. Sports Randos. I’m not hating on sports in any way, but I mean, you can’t deny the flocks of Nike crew socks and slide sandals on Old Side. Sometimes it seems like you guys dress from the same communal closet. As a non-athlete, the entire culture of Kenyon sports is somewhat lost on me. Take this into account with the cultish social feel that all sports seem to have, and you get the perfect set of randos for your non-athletic Kenyon student.
2. Normcore Randos. Read: a vast majority of New Side.
3. Cove Randos. A notorious venue that attracts a crowd that doesn’t seem to change. With the same people loitering outside and the same people sitting inside every weekend, it’s incontrovertible. There are definitely Cove people. But who are you?
4. Greek Randos. Sometimes you just see a group of people together and kinda know they are in a frat or sorority together. There’s this unspoken bond that transcends the rest of humanity’s plane of understanding that perhaps they themselves don’t understand. But hey, nice [insert every conceivable article of clothing here] with your Greek letters.
5. Couch Person Randos. Those couches in the Peirce atrium are pretty much private property and I’m somewhat worried for anyone who isn’t a couch person trying to stake their claim on them. It is literally the same group of people and yet I still can’t really get a grasp on who they are specifically. You just know it when you see a group sitting there. They seem to match, nay, blend in with the couch. Plus they can actually balance their food on their laps and eat, a feat which I sometimes find incredible.