Early December is proving to be a very difficult time. While half of you wants to assume fetal position and sob and scream because of finals and general end-of-semester anxiety, the second half wants to immerse yourself in holiday spirit, and the last half doesn’t want to leave the warmth of your bed and face the bitter cold on your way to Peirce. Yes, I know it gets so much worse, yes I know we’ve had it good so far, yes I know I’m just a naïve first-year but objectively speaking anything below 32 is freezing, leave me alone. With that in mind, what if I told you I have a fun, festive and easy “meal” you could prepare with items that are probably already in your fridge, ideal to enjoy with friends in the comfort of your own 10×10 dorm? You’d probably say, “Wow, Shayne, you’re a Christmas miracle, I love you, please enjoy this Sephora gift card.”
Anyways, this is perfect for a small friendly gathering where most conversation is complaining about finals and related stress. Maybe even get some holiday sweaters into the mix just to make it that much more spirited.
- Cheese sticks
- These are around $4 from the Market and should be a staple item in any sane human’s fridge.
- Fruit and/or veggies
- Remember when you bought some grapes and baby carrots to make yourself feel a little less guilty for all the cheese sticks you were buying? And now they’re just sitting in your fridge, unopened and sad looking? Let’s put these babies to work.
- Wheat thins
- In my humble opinion these are one of the most overpriced things you can buy from the Market, but snack price inflation is just one more thing you can whine about at dinner.
- We’re on a budget.
- Cut up the cheese sticks into flatter, more rectangular cubes and arrange said slices however you like.
- Honestly, that’s the only process there is to this. Just throw everything else on whatever plate you dubbed the “platter” and you’re done! Pour yourself some drank and get emotional with your friends. Happy holidays, Lords and Ladies.