Things to Look Forward to in the Winter
Yeah, I get it – it was 50 degrees over the weekend and there hasn’t been snow on the ground for over a week. Whatever, dude. It’s still winter. Need I remind you of the doom and gloom that is the entirety of February? Nestled in between the excitement of the new semester and the freedom that comes with spring break, these next four weeks will likely be nothing short of a cloudy, monotonous mess. Devoid of anything worth doing, it might be hard to find a reason to roll out of bed in the morning. Luckily, I’ve got you covered. Here are some things to look forward to.
- The cold embrace of death. The month will draw on for what seems like forever. In reality, it’s just your third hour on third floor Olin. What does the sun look like? Will winter ever end? We have no way of knowing – the only thing we know, the only absolute truth, is that someday our lives will end.
- Instead of an icy Middle Path, we get to experience mud. Even though Mother Nature’s given us a sneak peak, we have a whole other season in store for you once it stops snowing for good! Every surface in your life will be covered in dirt! You will never be truly clean again!
- Those nice moments when the sun comes out. It’s a fun little game you can play whenever you happen to be near a window. Watch the clouds roll against the endless expanse that we call the “sky” to find if the sky is blue after all! It’s been so long I’ve pretty much forgotten.
- The days are getting longer, little by little. This is maybe the most exciting part of winter. Post-solstice, we’re on our way to late sunsets and early sunrises. You may not think that a minute of extra sunshine (or cloud-shine) matters, but it adds up! If that doesn’t do it for you, consider every minute another increment towards feeling warm.
- The fact that on Saturday Peirce usually does some fan-faves for dinner. I dunno. If you block out your time week by week, every day seems like more of an accomplishment than it actually was. Winter sucks, but Peirce does serve some dank orange chicken.