In preparation for Sendoff Weekend, we would like to remind everyone of a few safety measures. Sendoff can be one of the greatest weekends of the year, but this weekend especially it is important to be safe. With long term drinking, keep in mind the phrase “it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”
Some general safety tips:
- For the number of alcoholic drinks you take in, have a glass of water.
- Make sure to eat balanced meals and have some kind of snack ready at all times. Meals high in proteins and fats absorb alcohol slower, so they are best.
- Try sticking to alcohol that goes down slower, like wine or beer drinks, instead of taking several shots all at once.
- Pace yourself and take breaks from drinking.
- If you feel done, stop drinking (Also, if your friend says they are done, don’t peer-pressure them to drink more).
- Always keep a friend nearby.
- Keep an eye on your friends! Make sure they’re doing okay, don’t let your friends wander off alone.
- Put your phone and K-Card in a pocket where they won’t fall out.
- If you see someone who is having a hard time, help them.
If something should go wrong, here are numbers and sites that can help you this weekend.
Peer Counselor Hotline: 740-398-3806
Campus Safety: (740) 427-5000
SMA Hotline: (740) 358-1544
Counseling Center: (740) 427-5643
Have a fun and safe Sendoff Weekend!