Even though the temperature is hovering around the 80s and Birkenstocks are still everyone’s shoe of choice, I can safely say that autumn is now upon us. While I’m a huge proponent of pumpkin spice everything and soup for every meal, my favorite fall snack is a crisp apple with, if I’m feeling a little extra festive, a sprinkle of cinnamon. The other day I wondered what would happen if I paired this with the timeless grilled cheese sandwich and not to brag, but this may be the Best Peirce Hack Yet.
- Take two slices of bread from the bagel station and toast them until they’re nice and brown, but not burnt. While you’re there, put some butter on your plate which you’ll then use to spread on your bread, ensuring a nice grill. Side note: feel free to also spread cream cheese on your toast for a creamier sandwich.
- Grab a fresh-looking apple and find a place to thinly slice it. Once you have enough slices to cover a whole piece of bread, spread the rest of your butter on the apple slivers and sprinkle a generous dose of either cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, if you want a sweeter sandwich, over the apples.
- Next, head over to the panini press and let your apples warm up while you assemble the rest of your sandwich. For the cheese, I like to use either cheddar or muenster but don’t be afraid to try out different options!
- Now that you have your toast and cheese, take the apples out of the panini press, layer them between slices of bread and cheese, and grill the whole sandwich in the press. Remember to make sure that the buttered sides of the toast are facing outwards and please, please use wax paper in the press.
- Once you’ve attained maximum meltiness, remove your sandwich from the panini press and enjoy!
Featured image from www.dairygoodness.ca