Look, I’m not stupid. I just feel like I am only getting dumber with every passing day. I don’t know if it’s the ultimately crushing feeling I get when a possible employer asks me why I didn’t study marketing, or if it’s my inability to just sit down and write a paper like I used to– but it’s something.
As internship season creeps closer and closer with every passing day, I have been thinking about what my “special skills” are. What do I bring to the table that another candidate does not? And to that point– maybe some employers don’t think that my skills and offerings aren’t “relevant” or even “appropriate”, but I do.
Here are some of them:
- Strong written and verbal skills
- An in-depth knowledge of contemporary media
- Feet that would probably be considered “ugly”
- 5 years of written work that will ultimately could be a liability for me if I am ever in any public position
- All of my baby teeth
- Excellent interpersonal abilities
- Enough blood in my body to fill a gallon milk jug
- Deep Catholic guilt
- A working knowledge of Photoshop
- A cheese stick in my pocket
- An inexplicable ability to ask men who are my equals “if this works for them”
- A purse with at least three (3) debit cards I lost but then found after I ordered a new one
- 12 dollars on my K Card
- An ability to shotgun a beer even though gluten makes me feel bad
- Crazy eyes
- General literacy
- A car full of trash
- A cat who really does love me
- The courtesy to cry in the bathroom
- A can-do attitude and a strong work ethic
please hire me to be your intern!