Loathe him or hate him, Trump has been voted out of office, despite his insistence that the election was rigged. I don’t know about most of the Kenyon population, but I’m stoked. I haven’t had serotonin levels this high since… well… who knows? To keep the happy chemicals coming, I’ve curated a playlist dedicated to bidding you-know-who an enthusiastic “good riddance!” I may have questionable music taste, at best, but the following songs are standouts as far as emulating the feeling of euphoria upon realizing we’ll be kicking him out of the White House in a few short months.
- “Bye Bye Bye” – NSYNC: I have been replaying this classic every day since we received the election results, and I’m sure it’s self-explanatory as to why. I want Trump gone, and this song reflects that sentiment perfectly. In a way, we’re getting out of a toxic relationship along the lines of what NSYNC are describing in their lyrics, and boy does it feel good to revel in the whole “getting out” aspect of this presidency.
- “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)” – Hamilton OBC: What better way to celebrate than blasting the musical who’s cast members called out VP Pence and the Trump administration during bows? This song in particular speaks to the victory several Americans feel they have won, and I’ve got to admit, hearing the OBC chanting “We won, we won, we won!” will forever be satisfying.
- “Bitch Lasagna” – PewDiePie: I’ll admit I’m not a fan of PewDiePie. Or this song. That being said, can the sentiment towards Trump be better described than wishing to serve him bitch lasagna? I don’t think so.
- “We’re Not Gonna Take It” – Twisted Sister: It’s a classic protest song for a reason, and the title alone sums up how it feels to see record numbers of voter turnout result in favor of Biden.
- “Walking On Sunshine” – Katrina & The Waves: The sheer amount of happy chemicals in my brain right now is ridiculous. This is the happiest song ever written. I want this to be the soundtrack to every part of my life right now, a la every happy movie montage ever. I swear, rainbows and unicorns should be popping up everywhere with how relieved I feel, a unique emotion this song captures perfectly.
- “Party in the USA” – Miley Cyrus: You’ve seen the celebrations. You know why this song is here.