The morning of September 18th, the fire alarm went off in both Mather and McBride residence halls as a result of a gas leak that, in a surprise plot-twist to the Mather students who smelled gas while reluctantly exiting their rooms, was not in the building but was actually in Allen House. Due to the early hour and the… alarming nature of the alarm, many students had not yet arisen from bed, dressed themselves, showered, or gathered their class materials––or any materials at all for that matter. Some exited their buildings with only a towel and whatever bit of dignity they had left. As students flocked from their dorms to Gund Commons to Peirce to their classes, those unaware of the situation were seemingly indifferent to the pajama-clad first year students, paying them little attention at all, but I’d like to imagine a world where the best-dressed (or best not-so-dressed) evacuees of Mather and McBride were given the spotlight they deserve, so here’s what a Mather-McBride Evacuee Fashion Show might have looked like.
It’s a dilemma we’ve all faced: you wake up late for your morning class and you have to decide if you want to use your dwindling time to check the weather or read the Thrill. Now you can do both at the same time!