“Peirce Dates are back and accepting applicants who are not afraid of awkward conversations with strangers. For those of our readers who are unfamiliar with The Thrill’s dating service, a Peirce Date is a lovely thing where the yentas at The Thrill set two people up on a blind date at Peirce, and then we find out how it went. Hilarity ensues.” – Leslie Martin ’14
I think their date went fine. I don’t care. I got my heart broken. Have a nice time whatever blah blah blah.
- Major: Psychology.
- Hometown: West Stockbridge, MA.
- Five words to describe yourself: Outgoing, fiery, sarcastic, adventurous, impatient (heh).
- Ideal date: Late-night-make-your-own-breakfast date. I’m passionate about breakfast foods. Also I love cooking. Probably that or anything involving an aquarium/zoo.
- Your best pick-up line/ice breaker: Hey girl, do you have a Band-Aid? I accidentally scraped my knee when I fell for you.
- Dream date: Pat Catan’s. All I ever want to do is run around a craft store. Or anything involving alcohol and Netflix and lots of blankets. It’s COLD.
- What would you hope was being served in Peirce for this date: KUNG PAO CHICKEN. Or corn dogs. Nothing is more romantic than deep-fried meat on a stick.
- Best thing about Kenyon: Not to be that guy, but the people are really what do it for me.
- Worst thing about Kenyon: Health Center hours :(
- In 20 years you are… Hopefully happily employed doing something I’m passionate about. Ideally with a nice lady in my life who will go on breakfast/zoo dates with me.
Prospective Luv #2: Meghan Surges
- Major: Undecided.
- Hometown: Portland, Maine.
- Five words to describe yourself: Observant, intuitive, curious, enthusiastic, scatterbrained.
- Ideal date: Picnicking somewhere warm.
- Best pick up line: Offering a bite of my candy necklace.
- Dream date: I’d like to go for a long walk or drive, headed nowhere in particular.
- What would you hope was being served in Peirce for this date?: DIY caramel apples.
- Best thing about Kenyon: Happy-go-lucky, positive people.
- Worst thing about Kenyon: There’s nowhere to hide.
- In 20 years you are: Who knows, I just hope that I’ll be doing something I really care about!
Meghan walked in like a mist was pushing her along. My palms got sweaty and I think I had hives. I didn’t know what to expect of this Peirce date, and it was my first ever arranged date. She seemed so nice and I just wanted this to be a forever kind of love, you know?
Meghan asked me if her date had arrived and I laughed because I figured it was just a weird joke. She told me she would go get food while she waited for her date to get there. Another weird joke. I wasn’t looking for her to be funny. Women are NEVER funny. I laughed again to make her feel okay.
Patience then walked through the doors as well, looking nice if you’re into that sort of thing. I don’t know. She asked me where her Peirce date was. I stood, numb, as all of the pieces began to click together. I wasn’t the person going on the Peirce date. I was the facilitator. The prop. No one wanted me. I couldn’t respond because I felt nothing. I let her figure it out on her own because she stole the only person I ever loved.
When they finally sat down, they seemed to have a nice enough time. They laughed a bunch but I don’t know what about because seriously, I stared at Meghan the whole time. She kept looking in my direction and smiling, but I found out her best friend was sitting behind me.
I asked them about their date afterwards and it just felt like salt on an open wound.
What did you guys talk about?: We talked about our metaphysical selves and the spiritual journeys that we are on. We talked about pets, exotic pets, and our second grade selves.
What did you have to eat?: Pizza, but it got really cold because we were talking for so long.
Would you go on a second date with this person?: No doubt.
What did you guys talk about?: My favorite thing that she asked me was, “What were you like in second grade?” I have no interest in getting to know people that were cool when they were younger. We were both dweebs. She used to make dioramas and I used to sing by myself on the swing set.
Would you go on a second date with this person?: I’ll go on a date again, yeah!
Do you have anything you wish you could redo?: Well she was all cute and like, “I always dress the same, but I tried to mix it up for the date.” Whereas I was essentially wearing my PJs.
So their first date went great, but my mom says that doesn’t mean I’m not a good person.